Tuesday 19 October 2010

The Autumn Season...

Autumn is probably my favourite season of all, and one of the benefits of the cooler weather (after the few typical weeks of "Indian Summer") is that it is perfect for hearty hot meals (and, if you're like me, you're totally craving something warm to fill you up by the end of the day).  This means it is officially Soup Weather!


Dear readers, I now bring to you Sherried Tomato Soup from the lovely Ree "Pioneer Woman" Drummond.  Believe me, this recipe is completely worth dying living for.


(Note: I didn't end up using the tomato paste... I guess I pulled it out in case the soup needed extra thickening, but it was fine without it!) 

Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 20 min | DifficultY: Easy | Serves: 8

Ingredients:
  • 6 T. Melted Butter
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 1 bottle (46 Oz.) Tomato Juice
  • 2 cans (14 Oz. Cans) Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 T. (up To 3 Tablespoons) Chicken Base
  • 3 T. (up To 6 Tablespoons) Sugar
  • 1 pinch Salt
  • Black Pepper To Taste
  • 1 cup Cooking Sherry
  • 1-½ cup Heavy Cream
  • Chopped Fresh Parsley
  • Chopped Fresh Basil
Directions:

(Yes, that is garlic you see accompanying the onion.  This recipe just begged for the addition of fresh garlic!)
Dice the onion (and garlic :)) well.

 Sauté diced onions in butter until translucent. 


Then add canned tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken base, sugar, pinch of salt, black pepper and stir.


Bring to a near boil, then turn off heat. Add in sherry and cream and stir. Add in parsley and basil to taste.

Adjust other seasonings and serve (suggestions: fresh herb salad, your favourite bread)...


I made grilled cheese Parmesan bagels for part of my family, and grilled cheese quesadillas (I know those sound like the strangest pairing to go with the soup, but they went really well!) for the gluten-free eaters.



Now, make sure you dip your bread into this amazing soup, and eat them together (yes, together; sorry to those strict, compartmentalised people -- you'll have to break out of your mold for this one!).  Trust me, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...